Especially since the construction of the wide Kurt-Schumacher-Straße (Kurt Schumacher road), which today is the northern access-road to the bridge, there had often been traffic jams from the bridge up to the inner city. Der fünfte wurde am 7. Reports of the city construction manager Johann Friedrich Christian Hess from the years 1816 to 1844 noted the desolate state of the bridge pillars, and mentioned cracks with sizes up to 10 inches (0.25 m) each. Since its first mention in official documents in 1222, the development of Frankfurt has been strongly influenced by the bridge. Ein goldner Hahn auf einer Eisenstange steht aber noch jetzt zum Wahrzeichen auf der Brücke. Deutsch: Frankfurt am Main: Alte Brücke, Totale des Brickegickels. The oldest complete drawing can be found in the Cosmographia of Sebastian Münster, as a part of the birds-eye view of Frankfurt, in the second issue from 1550. Alle seine Vorgänger standen auf der westlichen, flussabwärts gelegenen, Seite der Brücke. Alte Brücke (German: "old bridge") is a bridge in Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany. For centuries, the Alte Brücke was considered to be the most significant and beautiful building of Frankfurt. Among the poets of the 20th century, Fritz von Unruh is to be emphasized, who lived in within sight of the bridge for years. In the course of the flood, the 1338 Chapel of St. Catherine and a bridge tower collapsed. / Now, too, bring Frankfurt honor and fortune / Until the furthest time." In this case, the corpse was buried on the graveyard next to the leper colony. Tatsächlich entstand die Brücke schon über zweihundert Jahre bevor der erste Brickegickel errichtet wurde. As an attempt to solve the problem, ice breakers had been added to the bridge pillars, but these turned out to be a collision danger for passing ships and were subsequently removed. Already in the same year, at the end of 1945, a reconstruction of the Alte Brücke was initiated, this time without the naming attribute "Neue" ("new"). The oldest depiction of this bridge comes from 1405: It is shown in stylized form in the "Bedebuch" (burnt in World War II), with the two towers, three arches and the crucifix of the Brickegickel. These mills, too, had to be reconstructed multiple times, for example after a lightning strike-induced fire in 1718. Over the centuries, Alte Brücke has been destroyed and reconstructed at least 18 times. Alte Brücke (German: "old bridge") is a bridge in Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany. »Brickegickel« ziert Alte Brücke wieder. Five times, the Brickegickel had to be replaced during the course of the centuries: The Grimm Brothers delivered the story of the "Sachsenhäusener Brücke zu Frankfurt" ("Sachsenhausen bridge by Frankfurt") to posterity in their Deutsche Sagen ("German Legends") book.. The Brückenfreiheit was connected to the obligation to maintain peace on the bridge. Entweder riß ihn der Sturm vom Sockel oder er fiel Kriegen zum Opfer. Hinter diesen Brückensagen steckten wahrscheinlich uralte Überlieferungen, z. On 22 July 1342, the most severe flood in Central Europe up to that date occurred. On the south side (the bridge side), since 1502, the tower facade bore a sundial and a Reichsadler; on the north side (the city side) it showed an eagle. On 27 February 1784, the bridge was again damaged by melted ice. Since time immemorial, a special custom existed on the Alte Brücke, the so-called Brückenfreiheit ("bridge freedom"). In the Middle Ages, drowning was the most common kind of execution in Frankfurt. The rooster was supposed to remind mariners to be cautious when steering their riverboat through the strong current below the narrow bridge arch. Jahrhunderts die einzige steinerne Brücke am Unterlauf des Mains.Sie verband vom Mittelalter bis zum Jahr 1914 die Fahrgasse in der Frankfurter Altstadt mit der Brückenstraße in Sachsenhausen.Seit sie 1222 erstmals urkundlich erwähnt wurde, war die Entwicklung Frankfurts untrennbar mit ihr verbunden. The warden in the Rattenhäuschen, named the "Rattenmesser" ("rat cutter"), paid one Heller for every killed rat, cut off its tail as a kind of receipt, and threw the rest of the body into the Main. Originally there was a ford (German: Furt) near the Alte Brücke, possibly slightly downstream near the de:Frankfurt Fahrtor, giving the city its name. Only four years later, in 1342, the chapel was destroyed by St. Mary Magdalene's flood and was not reconstructed. Again and again, floods and melted ice hit the bridge and damaged it, and repair attempts did not completely fix the problems. Dezember 1739 beim Einsturz der Brücke zusammen mit Sockel und Kruzifix in den Fluten und wurde nicht mehr gefunden. For this reason, in the middle of the 1960s, it was decided to renovate the bridge instead of completely reconstructing it, hoping to bring an end to the increasing traffic obstructions. For some time, the beginning of the work was planned to be in the middle of 2009; the building costs have been estimated in the 2008 city budget plan to be about 29 million Euro.. Instead, it was decided only to renovate the already existing state of the bridge, for a relatively cheap 4.5 million Euro. In 2011, the museum in Römerberg was deconstructed to be re-built, and the sculpture was moved to a depot. However, this reconstruction did not happen because of a hefty cost estimation. Der Teufel erschien und erbot sich, die Brücke in der letzten Nacht fertig zu bauen, wenn ihm der Baumeister dafür das erste lebendige Wesen, das darüber ging, überliefern wollte. For the city, the loyalty to the imperator paid off well: Beginning with 1562, all coronations of the Holy Roman Emperor took place in Frankfurt. From the Middle Ages until the year 1914, it connected the "Fahrgasse" in Frankfurt Altstadt with the "Brückenstraße" in Sachsenhausen. ("bridge building club of Frankfurt, registered society") was founded in 2006, under the lead of architect Christoph Mäckler. Between the time of the flood until the Reformation, in the 16th century, an atonement procession from the Alte Brücke to the Weißfrauenkirche church was held annually on 22 July.. Dezember 1967 zusammen mit getreuen Kopien des spätbarocken Sockels und des Kruzifixes auf der renovierten Alten Brücke aufgestellt, allerdings auf der östlichen Seite. Erst 1276 wird erstmals eine steinerne Brücke erwähnt, über 100 Jahre nach der Steinernen Brücke von Regensburg. The bridge was supposed to have a width of 14 metres, and it was planned to have 8 stone arches. One of the heads even persisted until the final deconstruction of the tower in 1801. To implement this, the already existing bridge pillars had to be laboriously relocated. Alte Brücke Die Alte Brücke wurde am 1222 erstmals urkundlich erwähnt und war über Jahrhunderte die einzige Verbindung zwischen den beiden Frankfurter Ufern. In 1342, the Sachsenhausen tower became a victim of flood again, but was reconstructed promptly.  However, the bridge might be older than this: Chronicler Achilles Augustus von Lersner, who lived in Frankfurt, wrote at the beginning of the 18th century: "The bridge which connects both cities was built of wood in 1035 and it stood for so many years that it often suffered great water damage, especially in 1192." In the 15th century, rats had grown out of control in the city. Er ist untrennbar mit der Geschichte der Brücke verbunden und Gegenstand einer der bekanntesten Sagen von Frankfurt. Alte Brücke nun komplett mit Brickegickel (F - 171117 - kus) Seit Freitag, 17. In 1411, the first mill was constructed on the bridge. The Neue Alte Brücke only reached an age of 18 years: On 26 March 1945, shortly before the end of World War II, the German Wehrmacht imploded the two large middle arches of the bridge to prevent the approaching Allies from crossing the Main. The bridge has five road lanes since this day, and there are currently about 29,000 cars traversing the bridge daily. Im Gegensatz zu den anderen Hinrichtungen fanden Ertränkungen auch des Nachts statt, um auf der Brücke die sonst bei Hinrichtungen üblichen Menschenansammlungen zu vermeiden. The about 20 metres wide upper wharf at the riverside road, and the 23 metres wide lower wharf had not been created before 1880; until then, the Main river reached up to the front of the first houses. This measure did not prevent a collapse of the bridge's cross arch on 16 December 1739, which also caused the Brickegickel to be lost. On 13 September 1947, the Alte Brücke was opened for street traffic again, as the second Main bridge of Frankfurt, after the "Eiserner Steg". In 2004, the city countil conference decided to let the renovation start shortly after the 2006 FIFA World Cup. German: Bei allem Respekt vor der hochheiligen Nützlichkeit sehe ich doch nicht ein, daß ein Kerl, der eine Fuhr Sand oder Mist von der Stelle schafft, dadurch das Privilegium erlangen soll, jeden etwan aufsteigenden Gedanken in sukzessive zehntausend Köpfen (eine halbe Stunde Stadtweg) im Keime zu ersticken. Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte wurde er fünfmal erneuert. Ihre Länge, ihre Festigkeit, ihr gutes Ansehen machte sie zu einem bemerkenswerten Bauwerk; auch ist es aus früherer Zeit beinahe das einzige Denkmal jener Vorsorge, welche die weltliche Obrigkeit ihren Bürgern schuldig ist. In 1401, a crucifix was constructed deployed on the middle arch of the bridge, the cross arch, to mark the position of the deepest point in the waterway. Half of the Frankfurt coin revenue, and timber from the royal hunting forest of Wildbann Dreieich, was assigned to the maintenance of the bridge. Today, the view of the bridge is characterized by four portal walls at both sides of the bridge's middle part. In 1986, it was repositioned in front of the entrance of the historical museum in Römerberg, after sculptor Edwin Hüller had restored head and hands of the statue. Der Baumeister hatte sich verbindlich gemacht, die Brücke bis zu einer bestimmten Zeit zu vollenden. Every evening, the bridge gates were closed; passing the bridge by night was strictly forbidden. In 2006, the Alte Brücke received a new porticus, which resembles a watermill that had historically been present at the bridge. ALte Brücke "Brickegickel" ... Jahrhundert die häufigste Form der Todesstrafe in Frankfurt. A donation by Helmut Gärtner, long-time municipal administrator of Frankfurt, in celebration of his election to first councillor of, This page was last edited on 1 October 2020, at 20:34. A "stone bridge" in the Frankfurt region does not appear in historical documents until 1276. The building name "Neuer Portikus" is derived from the porticus in front of the old city library at the Obermainbrücke ("upper Main bridge"). One of the participants had been the architect community Franz von Hoven & Hermann von Hoven; winners of the competition have been Franz Heberer and Carl Friedrich Wilhelm Leonhardt. In 1840, the bridge arches were finally connected by stones. In 1848, a second bridge, the Main-Neckar Railway, was built over the Main. ("The Augustus Bridge is the longest and most beautiful one, the Charles Bridge is the widest and godliest, the Regensburg Stone Bridge is the strongest, and the Sachsenhausen Bridge [A/N: Alte Brücke] is the reddest."). Landmarks of the Alte Brücke are the "Brickegickel" and a statue of Charlemagne, mythical founder of the city. Sachsenhausen's first mention in historic records was in 1193. Eine lokale Besonderheit ist, dass die Sage auch eine Erklärung für die hölzernen Balken liefert, mit denen jahrhundertelang die beiden mittleren Bögen gedeckt waren. Der schöne Fluß auf- und abwärts zog meine Blicke nach sich; und wenn auf dem Brückenkreuz der goldene Hahn im Sonnenschein glänzte, so war es mir immer eine erfreuliche Empfindung. In the course of the inauguration of the bridge, on 15 August 1926, Franz Heberer spoke in the name of the architects: "Now you are completed, bridge / after long severe suffering. However, it is more likely that these poles were of medieval origin and had been used for fishing or flood protection.