, There is a wide range of restaurants, mainly in Covent Garden's central area around the piazza, and in the St Martin's Lane area bordering the West End; some of these with international reputations.  The following year the market relocated to its new site, New Covent Garden Market, about three miles (5 km) south-west at Nine Elms. Previously the transport collection had been held at Syon Park and Clapham. A casual market started on the south side, and by 1830 the present market hall had been built. Read more. By 1654 a small open-air fruit-and-vegetable market had developed on the south side of the fashionable square. , The journey from Covent Garden to Leicester Square is London's shortest tube journey, at less than 300 yards. The last house was completed in 1637.  St Paul Covent Garden was completely surrounded by the parish of St Martin in the Fields. From shops, bars, restaurants and cafés there's quite a bit happening here. Many of his operas and oratorios were specifically written for Covent Garden and had their premières here. In 1645 Covent Garden was made a separate parish and the church was dedicated to St Paul. The Covent Garden area has over 60 pubs and bars; several of them are listed buildings, with some also on CAMRA's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors; some, such as The Harp in Chandos Place, have received consumer awards. The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, is the main theatre for ballet and opera in London. London Transport Museum and the side entrance to the Royal Opera House box office and other facilities are also located on the square. , The Bedford Estate was expanded by the inheritance of the former manor of Bloomsbury to the immediate north of Covent Garden following the marriage of William Russell, Lord Russell (1639–1683) (third son of William Russell, 1st Duke of Bedford of Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire) to Rachel Wriothesley, heiress of Bloomsbury, younger of the two daughters and co-heiresses of Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton (1607-1667).  Alfred Hitchcock's 1972 film Frenzy about a Covent Garden fruit vendor who becomes a serial sex killer, was set in the market where his father had been a wholesale greengrocer.  The daily activity of the market was the topic of a 1957 Free Cinema documentary by Lindsay Anderson, Every Day Except Christmas, which won the Grand Prix at the Venice Festival of Shorts and Documentaries. Covent Garden English is on Facebook. The Bow Street Magistrate's Court was one of the most famous criminal courts in London until it was closed in 2006. Covent Garden.  Another market, the Jubilee Market, is held in the Jubilee Hall on the south side of the square. Redevelopment was considered, but protests from the Covent Garden Community Association in 1973 prompted the Home Secretary, Robert Carr, to give dozens of buildings around the square listed-building status, preventing redevelopment. The route runs northbound towards the Bloomsbury, and southbound to the Strand and Waterloo Bridge, via Bow Street. The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane is nearby.  How much of Jones's original building is left is unclear, as the church was damaged by fire in 1795 during restoration work by Thomas Hardwick; the columns are thought to be original but the rest is mostly Georgian or Victorian reconstruction.. In 1734, the first ballet was presented; a year later Handel's first season of operas began. , By the end of the 1960s, traffic congestion was causing problems for the market, which required increasingly large lorries for deliveries and distribution.  The buildings are let to the Covent Garden Area Trust, who pay an annual peppercorn rent of one red apple and a posy of flowers for each head lease, and the Trust protects the property from being redeveloped. Street entertainment at Covent Garden was noted in Samuel Pepys's diary in May 1662, when he recorded the first mention of a Punch and Judy show in Britain. It is served by Piccadilly line trains, which link the area directly to important Central London destinations including King's Cross St Pancras, South Kensington, and Heathrow Airport (). It was eventually purchased by the landlady Binnie Walsh around 2010 then subsequently sold by her to Fuller's Brewery in 2014. , During the Roman period, what is now the Strand – running along the southern boundary of the area that was to become Covent Garden – was part of the route to Silchester, known as "Iter VII" on the Antonine Itinerary. For more than 300 years it held the principal fruit, flower, and vegetable market of the metropolis. Once it was a huge fruit, vegetable and flower market with many taverns, theatres, coffee-houses, prostitutes and brothels. Community See All.  Long Acre has clothes shops and boutiques, and Neal Street is noted for its numerous shoe shops. Now it is a huge commercial area and "tourist trap". They were from 1855 to 1900 part of the St Giles District and from 1900 part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn.  The central hall has shops, cafes and bars alongside the Apple Market stalls selling antiques, jewellery, clothing and gifts; there are additional casual stalls in the Jubilee Hall Market on the south side of the square.  It is a Grade I listed building.  During the first hundred years or so of its history, the theatre was primarily a playhouse, with the Letters Patent granted by Charles II giving Covent Garden and Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, exclusive rights to present spoken drama in London.  The main auditorium is a Grade I listed building. , The market halls and several other buildings in Covent Garden were bought by CapCo in partnership with GE Real Estate in August 2006 for £421 million, on a 150-year head lease. The northern reaches of Covent Garden were within the ancient parish of St Giles in the Fields and outside the Liberty of Westminster. After it was destroyed by fire in 1672, English dramatist and theatre manager Thomas Killigrew constructed a larger theatre on the same spot, which opened in 1674.  Killigrew's theatre lasted nearly 120 years, under leadership including Colley Cibber, David Garrick, and Richard Brinsley Sheridan. , The houses initially attracted the wealthy, though they moved out when a market developed on the south side of the square around 1654, and coffee houses, taverns, and prostitutes moved in. By the end of the 1960s, traffic congestion had reached such a level that the use of the square as a modern wholesale distribution market was becoming untenable, and significant redevelopment was planned. It is going to be a boutique hotel.  Long Acre is the main thoroughfare, running north-east from St Martin's Lane to Drury Lane. , The Covent Garden Estate was part of Beecham Estates and Pills Limited from 1924 to 1928, after which it was managed by a successor company called Covent Garden Properties, owned by the Beechams and other private investors. Apple, Fiona Fleur, Bailey Nelson and more are here for you to click and collect your orders.  It is associated with the former fruit-and-vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site, and with the Royal Opera House, itself known as "Covent Garden". 337 people follow this. Join Facebook to connect with Covent Garden English and others you may know. #3 Best Value of 51 places to stay in Covent Garden (London).  In 1900 it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster and was abolished as a civil parish in 1922. A district in Central London. , More than 30 London Buses routes run along Covent Garden's perimeters, although no routes run directly through Covent Garden following the permanent withdrawal of the RV1 route in 2019.  Among the restaurants are the historic theatrical eating places, the oldest of which is Rules, which was founded in 1798, making it the oldest restaurant in London, followed by J. Sheekey, an oyster bar and fish restaurant founded in 1893 by market-stall holder Josef Sheekey in Lord Salisbury's St Martin's Court, and The Ivy, which was founded as an unlicensed Italian cafe by Abel Giandellini in 1917.  The Earl of Bedford acquired a private charter from Charles II in 1670 for a fruit and vegetable market, permitting him and his heirs to hold a market every day except Sundays and Christmas Day. Read more. Covent Garden falls within the London boroughs of Westminster and Camden and the parliamentary constituencies of Cities of London and Westminster and Holborn and St Pancras. This new company sold some properties at Covent Garden, while becoming active in property investment in other parts of London. Chinese German English ... Covent Garden is a major draw for visitors and Londoners who enjoy its many attractions, including shopping, theatre, restaurants, bars, history and culture.  By the 18th century it had become notorious for its abundance of brothels. Shows run throughout the day and are about 30 minutes in length. The Lamb and Flag in Rose Street is possibly the oldest pub in the area. The central building re-opened as a shopping centre in 1980 and is now a tourist location containing cafes, pubs, small shops, and a craft market called the Apple Market, along with another market held in the Jubilee Hall.  It was at one time owned by the Charrington Brewery, when it was known as The Welsh Harp; in 1995 the name was abbreviated to just The Harp, before Charrington sold it to Punch Taverns in 1997. For a list of street name etymologies in Covent Garden see: Street names of Covent Garden. From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Covent_Garden&oldid=6864186, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License. , The Royal Opera House, known as "Covent Garden", was constructed as the "Theatre Royal" in 1732 to a design by Edward Shepherd. In 1867, Johann Strauss II from Austria composed "Erinnerung an Covent Garden" (Memory of Covent Garden, op. Following a public outcry, buildings around the square were protected in 1973, preventing redevelopment.  In 2010, what was then the largest Apple Store in the world opened in The Piazza. In 1962 the bulk of the remaining properties in the Covent Garden area, including the market, were sold to the newly established government-owned Covent Garden Authority for £3,925,000..  Seventeen of the houses had arcaded portico walks organised in groups of four and six either side of James Street on the north side, and three and four either side of Russell Street. The market grew and further buildings were added: the Floral Hall, Charter Market, and in 1904 the Jubilee Market. Freemasons' Hall is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England and the Supreme Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of England, as well as a meeting place for many Masonic Lodges in the London area. All Free. It is north of The Strand and east of Trafalgar Square.  The complete Covent Garden Estate owned by CapCo consists of 550,000 sq ft (51,000 m2), and has a market value of £650 million. It has been purchased and restored by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. , St Paul's, commonly known as the Actors' Church, was built in 1633, at a cost of £4,000, though was not consecrated until 1638. , The current building is the third theatre on the site following destructive fires in 1808 and 1857. The former market has been redeveloped, keeping its glass roof and cast iron spans. , The first record of a "new market in Covent Garden" is in 1654 when market traders set up stalls against the garden wall of Bedford House. This page was last edited on 27 November 2020, at 17:07. , Historically, the Bedford Estate defined the boundary of Covent Garden, with Drury Lane to the east, the Strand to the south, St Martin's Lane to the west, and Long Acre to the north. These revealed that a trading town, called Lundenwic, developed around 600 AD, stretching from Trafalgar Square to Aldwych, with Covent Garden at the centre. Designed and laid out in 1630, it was the first modern square in London—originally a flat, open space or piazza with low railings. It's beautiful just to go for a walk around when the shops are all closed. Séptima de Hernández y Hernández 266 (2,176.51 mi) Coatepec, Veracruz-Llave, Mexico 91500 . The 4th Earl commissioned Inigo Jones to build some fine houses to attract wealthy tenants.  The "greater part of the pillars" were built from granite quarried from Cairngall in today's Aberdeenshire. Covent Garden, square in the City of Westminster, London.  In March 2007 CapCo also acquired the shops located under the Royal Opera House.  The market buildings, along with several other properties in Covent Garden, were bought by a Property company in 2006. Adjacent to the former market site stands the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), home of Britain’s oldest national opera and ballet companies. During the first hundred years or so of its history, the theatre was primarily a playhouse, with the Letters Patent granted by Charles II giving Covent Garden and Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, exclusive rights to present spoken drama in London.  The use of the name "Covent"—an Anglo-French term for a religious community, equivalent to "monastery" or "convent"—appears in a document in 1515, when the Abbey, which had been letting out parcels of land along the north side of the Strand for inns and market gardens, granted a lease of the walled garden, referring to it as "a garden called Covent Garden". , The London Transport Museum is in a Victorian iron and glass building on the east side of the market square. The Harp's awards include London Pub of the Year in 2008 by the Society for the Preservation of Beers from the Wood, and National Pub of the Year by CAMRA in 2010. However that survived only 15 years, burning down in 1809. Get Directions +52 228 824 7537. These arcades, rather than the square itself, took the name Piazza; the group from James Street to Russell Street became known as the "Great Piazza" and that to the south of Russell Street as the "Little Piazza". , Other Grade II listed pubs include three 19th century rebuilds of 17th century/18th century houses, the Nell Gwynne Tavern in Bull Inn Court, the Nag's Head on James Street, and the White Swan on New Row; a Victorian pub built by lessees of the Marquis of Exeter, the Old Bell on the corner of Exeter Street and Wellington Street; and a late 18th or early 19th century pub the Angel and Crown on St Martin's Lane.  The pub acquired a reputation for staging bare-knuckle prize fights during the early 19th century when it earned the nickname "Bucket of Blood". Covent Garden Covent Garden is a district in London, on the eastern fringes of the West End, between St Martin's Lane and Drury Lane.It is associated with the former fruit-and-vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site, and with the Royal Opera House, itself known as "Covent Garden". 329). The façade, foyer and auditorium were designed by Edward Barry, and date from 1858, but almost every other element of the present complex dates from an extensive £178 million reconstruction in the 1990s. In 1791, under Sheridan's management, the building was demolished to make way for a larger theatre which opened in 1794. This is how it was recorded from then on. Strand Palace.  The first mention of a pub on the site is 1772 (when it was called the Cooper's Arms – the name changing to Lamb & Flag in 1833); the 1958 brick exterior conceals what may be an early 18th-century frame of a house replacing the original one built in 1638. Rachel's son and heir was Wriothesley Russell, 2nd Duke of Bedford (1680–1711). There are street performances at Covent Garden Market every day of the year, except Christmas Day. , Covent Garden, and especially the market, have appeared in a number of works. It's just as described by everyone. Eliza Doolittle, the central character in George Bernard Shaw's play, Pygmalion, and the musical adaptation by Alan Jay Lerner, My Fair Lady, is a Covent Garden flower seller. WHAT YOU’RE LOVING THIS WEEK @COVENTGARDENLDN by snap-happy instagrammers +44 … Take that fruit from your crisper and fruit bowl and turn it into a tasty fruit salad, drizzled with a high-vitamin-C fruit juice (to keep the fruit… , After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540 under King Henry VIII, monastic lands in England reverted to the crown, including lands belonging to Westminster Abbey such as the Convent Garden and seven acres to the north called Long Acre. 1 and Nos.  Covent Garden was home to some of London's earliest coffee shops, such as Old Slaughter's Coffee House, which ran from 1692 until 1843, and a Beefsteak Club, the Sublime Society of Beef Steaks, which was co-founded in 1736 by William Hogarth at the Theatre Royal (now the Royal Opera House). Godt gjemt i den lille butikken vår i Covent Garden.  Alfred the Great gradually shifted the settlement into the old Roman town of Londinium from around 886 AD onwards, leaving no mark of the old town, and the site returned to fields.  Among the first shops to relocate here was Benjamin Pollock's Toy Shop. In March 2008, the market owner, CapCo, proposed to reduce street performances to one 30-minute show each hour.. Now it is a huge commercial area and "tourist trap". The Northern line links Covent Garden directly to destinations such as Waterloo, Euston, and Camden Town.  During a reorganisation in 1542 it was transferred to St Martin in the Fields, and then in 1645 a new parish was created, splitting governance of the estate between the parishes of St Paul Covent Garden and St Martin, both still within the Liberty of Westminster. The area is hugely popular with visitors to London, and has a number of remarkable buildings nearby. , The area to the south of Long Acre contains the Royal Opera House, the market and central square, and most of the elegant buildings, theatres and entertainment facilities, including the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and the London Transport Museum; while the area to the north of Long Acre is largely given over to independent retail units centred on Neal Street, Neal's Yard and Seven Dials; though this area also contains residential buildings such as Odhams Walk, built in 1981 on the site of the Odhams print works, and is home to 7,000 residents.. Russell and Carey complained that under the 1625 Proclamation concerning Buildings, which restricted building in and around London, they could not build new houses.  The district is divided by the main thoroughfare of Long Acre, north of which is given over to independent shops centred on Neal's Yard and Seven Dials, while the south contains the central square with its street performers and most of the historical buildings, theatres and entertainment facilities, including the London Transport Museum and the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.  Since 1971, with the creation of the Covent Garden Conservation Area which incorporated part of the area between St Martin's Lane and Charing Cross Road, Charing Cross Road has sometimes been taken as its western boundary.  From about 1635 onwards there were many private residents of note, including the nobility, living in the Great Piazza. Charing Cross is the nearest National Rail ('mainline') station to Covent Garden.  The first theatre, known as "Theatre Royal, Bridges Street", saw performances by Nell Gwyn and Charles Hart. , Covent Garden Market reopened in 1980 as a shopping arcade with restaurants and a pub. The square languished until its central building re-opened as a shopping centre in 1980.  Shelton Street, running parallel to the north of Long Acre, marks the London borough boundary between Camden and Westminster. Facebook gives people the power … Discover who is open for takeaway in Covent Garden. For a fee of £2,000, the King then granted Russell a licence to build as many new houses on his land as he "shall thinke fitt and convenient". The Russell family, who in 1694 were advanced in the peerage from Earl to Duke of Bedford, held the land until 1918.  This had been prompted by King Charles I having taken offence at the poor condition of the road and houses along Long Acre, which were the responsibility of Russell and Henry Carey, 2nd Earl of Monmouth. After the LGOC was taken over by the London Electric Railway (LER), the collection was expanded to include rail vehicles. This page was last changed on 12 March 2020, at 00:31.  Isaac de Caus, the French Huguenot architect, designed the individual houses under Jones's overall design. In 1734, the first ballet was presented; a year later Handel's first season of operas began.  Impromptu performances of song and swimming were given by local celebrity William Cussans in the eighteenth century. Bow Street is also nearby; it is a boundary road to Covent Garden. It has several rehearsal rooms with full-size stages, a large costume department and restaurants.  In 1630 Francis Russell, 4th Earl of Bedford commissioned the architect Inigo Jones to design and build a church and three terraces of fine houses around a large square or piazza. Buried in that little place we found in Covent Garden that time. , Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton, Supreme Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of England, National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors, Society for the Preservation of Beers from the Wood, "Excavations at 15–16 Bedford Street, Covent Garden, London", "King Alfred's London and London's King Alfred", "Plan of Bedford House, Covent Garden, &c. Taken About 1690", "The A to Z of Covent Garden's prostitutes", "Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance for Entertainment Uses", "Membership of The Covent Garden Community Association", "The Commissions for building fifty new churches: The minute books, 1711–27, a calendar", "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007", "Apple chooses London to open its biggest store in the world", "Capital & Counties JV wins Covent Garden", "Proposed Development at Bedford Chambers and No.  Covent Garden is licensed for street entertainment, and performers audition for timetabled slots in a number of venues around the market, including the North Hall, West Piazza, and South Hall Courtyard. Things to see in and around Covent Garden include the London Transport Museum, the Royal Opera House, Somerset House and Covent Garden Market. There's always some sort of feature going on. A later document, dated between 1250 and 1283, refers to "the garden of the Abbot and Convent of Westminster".  The station opened in 1907, and is one of the few in Central London for which platform access is only by lift or stairs.  Covent Garden has 13 theatres, and over 60 pubs and bars, with most south of Long Acre, around the main shopping area of the old market. Read more. , The Quietway 1 cycle route passes through Covent Garden. , By the 18th century, Covent Garden had become a well-known red-light district, attracting notable prostitutes such as Betty Careless and Jane Douglas. Covent Garden came within the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan Board of Works from 1855 and in 1889 became part of the County of London. , Russell built Bedford House and garden on part of the land, with an entrance on the Strand, the large garden stretching back along the south side of the old walled-off convent garden.